Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Bryan's Song

If you watch Sportscenter regularly, you’re familiar with its “50 States in 50 Days” segment currently being featured.  So you’ve heard – over and over again – the “Life is an open road…” song by Bryan Adams that introduces it each day.  Because any tribute to the good ‘ol USA must include a cheesy pop singer from Canada.  I can’t get the damn song out of my head, and there aren’t many worse things in life than having Bryan Adams stuck in your brain.

 

But since I’m the “when life gives you lemons…” type, I’ll put Mr. Adams to good use in this column.  It turns out that many of his songs provide analysis of Los Angeles-area sports.  Don’t believe me?  Here’s a rundown:

 

Everything I Do I Do It For You:  Jerry Buss appeases Kobe Bryant by letting go of Shaq and Phil Jackson.

 

Heat of the Night:  An update from Shaq’s new employer.

 

Heaven:  Bryan’s proposed name for the stadium in Anaheim, because Angels play there.

 

Summer of ‘69:  Lew Alcindor departs UCLA after three consecutive NCAA championships.  The program suffers immensely, only winning 5 of the next 6 national titles.

 

Can’t Stop This Thing We Started:  The Clippers continue their never-ending streak of NBA lottery appearances.

 

Run To You:  What Reggie Bush and LenDale White will be doing to the end zone often for USC this fall.

 

Please Forgive Me:  What Kings and Mighty Ducks players will be saying to disgruntled hockey fans.

 

Cuts Like a Knife:  A profile of O.J. Simpson.

 

Somebody:  A plea for SOMEBODY, ANYBODY in the National League West to win a game.

 

Do I Have To Say the Words?:  Disbelieving sportscasters ask, “Am I really supposed to say, ‘The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?’”

 

Hope you enjoyed your lemonade!